Formerly Elizabeth Grove Methodist Church (until 1977)
114 Harvey Rd & Fairfield Rd, Elizabeth Grove.
The Church was the first public building erected in the Elizabeth. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Thomas Playford, Premier of South Australia on 27 November 1956, just eleven days after Elizabeth’s inauguration. The building was designed as a combined church and hall, providing the community with a place of worship and well as to hold meetings and entertainment. The church was also used for indoor sporting events such as basketball and volleyball. It was the birthplace of the Elizabeth Tennis Club, and several courts were constructed on the property. A childcare centre ran from the church.
The building is listed as a local heritage place. Several additions were added over the years.
For many years the church ran a ‘Spring Festival’ with dunking tanks, sweets, needlework etc. A huge event for the church and community. For many years it collected paper and rags for drives that was then sold on.
In 2000, the church formed a lay ministry team to run the church. The Lay minister uses a windmill to depict its work. A windmill, a common sight in SA brings water to the surface and gives life to the surrounding land. The many small blades make up the windmill contribute to the whole. The wind symbolises the Holy Spirit who drives the congregation. This symbol and meaning was developed by Rev Frank Measday who had been the mentor and minister-in-association since 2000.
The church shares its building with a growing Burundi community who meet in the church several times per week.
The church chose not to join the other Elizabeth Uniting Churches in forming the new Playford church at Munno Para as its congregation was ageing and would be unable to travel to the new church. In 2016 celebrated its 60th year.