The Elizabeth Hotel (South Australia) was opened Thursday 22nd August 1957, the first building to be erected in Elizabeth’s town centre. It was built at a cost of £500,000 by the SA Brewery Company. The hotel was designed by the architectural department of the SA Brewing Company.
The hotel was built in the form of a cross with wings attached to the northern and eastern legs. The northern wing consisted of 16 public bedrooms. The peacock and blue carpets in the bedrooms were especially made in England, the walls painted soft pastel colours. A small guest lounge featured an open fireplace of Basket Range stone. A larger lounge could seat 200 people. The floors of both lounges were covered by British made carpets of Menzies tartan pattern. A small private dining room for 25 people was available and the main dining room could accommodate 65 people. The private dining room was called the Edinburgh room and was decorated with pictures of inns and castles. The main dining room was known as the Elizabeth room and displayed pictures of the royal family. New to Australia just four years earlier was the drive through bottle shop, a feature of the Elizabeth hotel.
North of the saloon was a garden lounge which could hold 500 people. The gardens had 400 trees planted, rose bushes, shrubs and other small plants. The eastern wing had bedrooms for staff.
Three murals in the hotel were painted by Polish artist Stanislaw Ostaja-Kotkowski. The guest lounge near the main entrance contained a large bronze, copper and brass art piece. The design depicted the growth of Salisbury Plains, the smaller pieces of metal pointing upright were the shrubs as they first grew on the plan and the larger pieces are the trees as they developed. The large curved strips represented the industrial growth of the area. The Edinburgh contained a giant wall length aboriginal mural, carved of wood in various shapes.
You can watch this video of the hotel produced not long after its opening in the 1950’s.
Elizabeth Hotel was built in conjunction with SA Housing Trust, the SA Brewing Company, and PMG.
Builders: C O Yuncken and O’Neill & Clayton
Joinery: J Grove and Sons
Painting & Decorators: A. H Nicholls & son,
Plumbing: Les J Hill & Sons
Electrical contractors: W.J & V Bert
Grading and paving: JH Leverington
Interior Decoration & Colour design: Langdon Badger
The Elizabeth hotel was closed on 16th September 1983 and demolished to make way for the expansion of the Elizabeth Shopping Centre. The hotel was situated where Target is now.
|Alan William WALL||22 Aug 1957 to 27 Oct 1959|
|Harry Alder DUNN||28 Aug 1959 to 28 Aug 1961|
|Archibald JAMIESON||29 Aug 1961 to 18 Sept 1961|
|Harry Alder DUNN||19 Sept 1961 to 8 Sept 1962|
|Archibald JAMIESON||9 Sept 1962 to 30 Sept 1962|
|Harry Alder DUNN||1 Oct 1962 to 28 Feb 1965|
|Jack Hammond BENZIE||1 March 1965 to 7 March 1965|
|Laurence William Henry COLLIER||8 March 1965 to 4 June 1970|
|Donald Bruce FARROW||5 June 1970 to 29 March 1971|
|Donald Gordon PLUSH||24 April 1971 to 10 Jan 1972|
|Jack Hammond BENZIE||27 Jan 1972 to 20 Feb 1972|
|Con ARGY||21 Feb 1972 to 16 Oct 1977|
|Albert Arnold MAYHAM||17 Oct 1977 to 16 Sept 1983|