A six level water tower of reinforced concrete once was clearly visible around Elizabeth (South Australia), before trees and buildings have hindered its view. It is located behind General Motors Holden on Kettering Road along the Adelaide to Gawler railway line.
The Tower was built before Elizabeth was constructed and is linked to the explosives and filling factory near Salisbury. The factory was built in 1940 near the Barossa reservoir pipeline. The water tower was built soon afterwards to provide water, essential for the manufacture of munitions. It was in use until the early 1970’s for the Weapons Research Establishment.
It stands 44.2 metres and the tank has a capacity of 250 000 gallons.
From 1981 the Elizabeth Amateur Radio clubrooms were located in the tower.
Now days the water tower serves as a Digital TV Transmitter Site.